Saturday, July 07, 2007

Transformers

I saw Transformers today and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. It was an alright action movie, but I felt it deviated a bit too far from the original story and it had too little heart and character development. Other than wanting a new story I don't see why they deviated from the original story with the crash of their ship and the battle for energon. The new one didn't seem to add much.

Like with many adaptions it felt like they had a script and then they threw the famous brand on it to make it more sellable. The product placement in this movie was utterly shameless.

The most redeeming factor was the returning voice actor for Optimus Prime. That was cool.

They also made the same mistake of Terminator 3 by not having any of the original theme music; even T3 had it in the end (which was too late). At least they had the transformation sound effect still.

In the original series as I recall the Transformers were the main characters and you followed the story through their eyes, but here the humans were the main characters and you related to the unfolding events through their perspective. I think I prefered the original take.

The Transformers were also a bit unecessarily detailed compared to the comics which made it hard, mainly because of overzealous zoom ins, to tell them apart when they were fighting. It was a far cry from the human like fist fights and shootouts from the original.

No comments: